It was a great honor to be invited by Vizazi at the Booster Training of Trainers where our founder Mr. Wilson Masaka shared his knowledge and skills in facilitation and training. Remember not everyone with knowledge can TEACH. Teaching and facilitation are skills that are found with people with passion, time, right attitude, long life learners, experience, training qualification, values etc.
Vizazi is an international expert centre for interventions operating in the field of high quality counseling, training and supervision. More about Vizazi https://www.vizazi.org/
Topic of the day: Facilitation and Training skills.
- Content Vs. Context
- ASK Model.
Facilitators Teaching Vs. Facilitation
- Facilitators might not be subject area experts like a teacher. They do have special training in group dynamics using processes such as conflict resolution, strategic planning and team building.
- A facilitator can quickly determine what the group knows so the group can proceed to build on that knowledge.
- The facilitator also helps the group evaluate what group members learned from their activities.
Teachers / Trainers
- In charge of the learning environment (primary source of knowledge in a session).
- Responsible for creating lesson plans that direct the course of study students follow.
- Clear and concise objectives delineate what the student learns on any given day.
- Measuring how much information the student learns.
Facilitation is a method of teaching, meaning a teacher can become a facilitator depending with the content (subject, objective etc.)
11 Qualities Of a Great Teacher / Trainer
- An engaging personality (attitude) and teaching style.
- Good planner: clear objectives for lessons
- Effective discipline skills (Time management, reliable & accountability).
- Good classroom management skills.
- High expectations (Quality standard).
- Knowledge of curriculum and standards (Trends, learner and innovator).
- Knowledge of subject matter
- Passion in teaching.
- Strong rapport with students and other trainers [everyone].
- Effective follow up system
- Skilled in the subject area.
14 Most Effective Training Techniques
- Quizzes and games.
- Small group discussions.
- Case studies (reviews)
- Q & A sessions
- Question cards.
- Participant control. (Group leader, self direct, moderator and facilitation).
- Brainstorming session (No wrong or right – Post it).
- illustration (white board, flip chart, smart screen).
- Coaching (focused on individual need)
- Use of multimedia ( Video, Pictures, text, sound, online reference etc).
- Group research & presentation (‘homework’ or in class)
- Individual research & presentation – ‘homework’ or in class assignment.
Note: We used the 21st Century skills to achieve our training goal namely;
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Creativity and imagination
- Critical thinking and Problem solving
Some of the pictures as captured!